-->

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Four Hikes in High Mountains

Over four days in November 2023, I hiked four trails in Munnar, Kerala. This is a description of those hikes.


A warning: I went on these hikes without much prior idea of the terrain, trail difficulty, how high they go, etc. I had done some homework in selecting the trails but did not know what to expect. In the end, this ignorance added to the enjoyment. Therefore, spoiler alert so to speak: Do not read the hike descriptions if you wish to keep the element of surprise. Instead, just go on the hike.

Some general trip information below, but if you'd rather skip to the hikes:

Chokramudi Peak

Eravikulam National Park & Thoovanam Waterfalls

Meesapulimala

Letchmi Hills

I organized these hikes from the U.S. by contacting a local tour guide company in Munnar. They provided a brochure with suggested treks, trip length, cost information, and a private guide. One hike required a 4-wheel drive jeep to reach the trailhead. They also arranged a driver for the duration of the trip. For each of the hikes, you have to get a Forest Department permit for a nominal charge. My guide took care of this. Typically, the FD offices are located on the way or at the start of the trails. The FD will assign their own guide so I ended up with two guides on two of the hikes.


I lucked out with great weather on all four days. It rained before and after my trip. Rain could have made the hikes complicated. Getting wet or bitten by hordes of leeches would be the least of your problems. Three of the hikes involved steep climbs, some portions with little margin for a misstep. I wore a good pair of hiking boots, waterproof hiking pants, a backpack with basic provisions, and carried a sturdy hiking stick. These helped smooth out the trip. I also carried a robust set of personal protection instruments, which thankfully I never had to use. In hindsight, I would have thrown in a pair of knee braces, which would have helped take pressure off the knee joints both up and downhill.


Oh, one more thing: carry basic meds. On the night after the 2nd hike, I came down with stomach flu. I ran a fever and had other difficulties I'd rather not discuss. I survived the fairly strenuous 3rd and 4th hikes because I carried basic over-the-counter medicines.


If you want more details, this blog provides my contact information.


Hope you enjoy and benefit from these hike descriptions.

Chokramudi Peak

Eravikulam National Park & Thoovanam Waterfalls

Meesapulimala

Letchmi Hills


Happy Hiking!